When it comes to wax seal artwork, capturing fine details is one of the most important things our clients ask about. The number one rule of thumb when it comes to detail, is the quality of the image itself. The higher resolution we have to work with, the better your artwork will engrave!
Here is what we'll need:
- A high resolution (300dpi), black and white vector image. Vector images are key as hand-drawn images do not translate into our engraving program as well as vector images. Hand-drawn images may not engrave with the same smoothness a vector image will.
- .PDF, .AI and .EPS formats are preferred for proofing and engraving, but high quality .jpeg and .gif files can also be accepted. Please note that we may not be able to retain all detail in your image if you submit a .jpeg or .gif file.
- Please do not include any artwork that has shading or 3D effects.
- A die line if you have a specific placement or proportion required for your wax seal.
Please note: Black areas will be raised when pressed into wax.
We prefer solid black and white images, with thick lines and proportional negative space, such as the examples below.
Here are some quick tips:
- Lineweight: We recommend working with a minimum lineweight of 0.65mm. Thicker lines will stand out more once pressed in wax, so if you’re working with a dainty font or delicate detail – we recommend adding a 0.5 pt. line to your design.
- Aim for 50% coverage of the die when designing your wax seal to avoid air bubbles and blemishing.
- Size of seal can play a big role in the amount of detail you can capture in your wax seal. Working with exceptionally fine artwork and want a double check – just email us your image and our Engraving Team will send you their recommendations!
The best wax seal designs also include a well balanced design with at least 50% coverage, such as the example below. When sending text, well sized block fonts work best!
When submitting artwork, please avoid hand-drawn images, color images, hatching and small details, blurry lines, and artwork that becomes pixelated when you zoom in. Such as the examples below:
Related Article: Artwork Detail Guidelines
The Proofing Process
Once your custom wax seal order is submitted, your artwork will be sent to our Artisaire Engraving Team for proofing!
Here's how it works:
- Once your order is submitted, the Engraving Team will generate an Electronic Proof which will show the optimal proportion and placement options for your wax seal. This will be sent to you via email within 1 business day.
- Select the option you would like from your Electronic Proof and return the completed form to us via email.
- We will send you an Order Confirmation email with your production time and latest shipping date.
- Your order will be sent into production (1-3 business days for standard orders).
- Once production is complete, your order will be packed with care and shipped to you via your chosen shipping method.
**Please Note: Production will not begin for custom orders until an approved Electronic Proof form is received via email and you have received a final order confirmation from our team.**